Thursday, 30 April 2015

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?


To create my trailer I used a cannon camera which was borrowed from school, this camera was easy and straightforward to sue and also was a good quality camera that made the quality of my work higher. The camera was able to be easily transported to different locations when I needed it to be. To make my shots steady and stable all my scenes was shot on a tripod, this allowed movement to be smooth. As my genre was a romantic drama, I required less locations as this is common in most romantic dramas. My only had two locations which were my school and house. The location that is most prominent is the school location as the film is based around two students who meet at school. My trailer is meant to straightaway attract the audience of a similar age group. I decided to keep my shots natural my not adjusting any lights, I believe this would be important because this is drama film therefore is meant to portray a real life situation. I believe the music in my trailer strongly aids my trailer and the genre. I used two songs “Banks-Waiting game” and “Hozier-Work Song”. These two songs worked very well together and the change in the music shows that there is a change in the storyline (a darker side) In the beginning of my trailer, I used the song “waiting game” as the song talks about falling in love and pleasing someone, this is used at the beginning because this part is meant to happy and shows the happy side of Amelia’s life. The screen changes into a black screen where waiting game fades out and works song fades in. This change shows the challenges Amelia goes through with Daniel. This follows conventions of existing products especially drama movies. In the trailer of the film “The Spectacular Now” there is 3 changes in music to fit the issues of the character and this is all within 2 and a half minutes. I edited the music to fit certain scenes in the trailer to give the trailer more effect. In making my trailer I believe theorist influenced the order in which I placed scenes and the way I represented my characters. The theorist Todrov’s three stages of narrative helped me when ordering my trailer. Todrov argued that films start with an equilibrium then go into a disequilibrium an end with a new equilibrium. After researching into trailers of my genre, I decided to challenge this convention. I believe having a trailer which started with a disequilibrium will grab the reader straightaway. This is because the audience would want to know what is happening or why there is trouble, even the audience don’t go and watch the film they will want to finish watching the trailer to get possible answers. My trailer starts with Amelia in a classroom alone crying, I placed a voiceover of people (her peers) telling Amelia that Daniel is bad for her and he will get her into trouble. This I believe will attract my potential audience as they can relate to the issues of being at school. The ending of my trailer features single shots of my characters and an intertitle before introducing them. I believe this would attract an audience and helps my trailer. If this were a real media product with well-known celebrities this would be an effective way of grabbing and the film will go through a film junket, this is where the celebrities will answer questions about the film in order to promote the film. Another very influential theorist was Levi-Strauss and his theory of binary opposites. My film is based around the difference in character between Amelia and Daniel. I tried portraying good vs evil, love vs hate, innocent vs corrupted. As my film is based around the life of Amelia is tried to portray the troubles a teenager would go through but exaggerate this to make the film more interesting. I wanted to show the relationship between Amelia and Daniel as boyfriend and girlfriend. The scene that shows the contrast between two characters is when Amelia tells Daniel she loves him and he yells at her saying she doesn’t love him because he doesn’t love her. I believe this is an effective scene that my audience can relate. The idea of my film is to present real life issues, which is also a convention of drama film. I also wanted to use Propp’s broad character types when portraying my characters, according to Propp’s Amelia will be the princess who is in a relationship with the prince. However my characters take up multiple roles during the course of the film. Amelia takes up other roles such as the donor, the helper and the princess. In the film Amelia helps Daniel to understand that he has a problem which needs help. Daniel takes up roles such as the villain and also takes up the role of being the hero. I wanted the audience to dislike Daniels character, but as the film develops they grow to understand why he is the way he is. In making my trailer if enforced Angela McRobbie’s theory which suggest that women and men are represented in a stereotypical ay through media. In my trailer, Amelia is represented as being weak and as being the victim as she is suffering from her past. I represented Daniel as being Strong, powerful and aggressive. I followed this because I believe challenging this convention would be irrelevant around my storyline. I also believe it will connect to viewers of similar age to Amelia. The end of my trailer is an image of the character and has links to subscribe and to buy tickets. I believe this makes the trailer interactive, the audience do not need to look for how to purchase tickets if required and can also link to the page to view other clips. This is unique and different, it isn’t seen on many trailers, however this is a convention that is starting to develop and grow amongst this product.

No comments:

Post a Comment