I created both a teaser and a theatrical trailer to support my film ‘once beaten twice shy’. My film is about a teenage girl who has moved school as a result of her mother’s constantly changing job. Amelia always being an outcast decided that this time she is going to be different. However wherever she moves to her past seems to follow her. Amelia was abused as a child and now suffers from chronic shyness. In her first week of school Amelia is sent to detention where she meets the bad boy of school Daniel Thompson. The two get to know each other meanwhile Daniel’s ex-girlfriend is out to destroy their relationship.
As their relationship blossoms Daniels dark side starts to appear and Amelia finds that Daniel is bad for her and will get her into trouble due to his bad drinking problems. Daniels ex finally catches up with Amelia and tells her to keep away from Daniel or she will be on her bad side.
I made sure my teaser and theatrical trailer worked and supported each other well. In my teaser trailer, there isn’t much narrative to it, it just shows different characters interacting with each other but leaves questions that is brought to light in the theatrical trailer. I also made sure my print product linked with each other well. I made a poster, billboard, DVD cover and magazine front cover. I made sure that similar images were used of the two main characters, also the same two fonts which were Myriad pro from adobe fireworks and Photoshop and a font called basic title from online font website dafont.
I tried sticking to a house style for my products by having the same fonts and having similar colour scheme running through all products.
I believe this is Important because this will make my products identifiable to my audience. It will be easy for my audience to relate my products to each other. When creating my text I kept continuity in mind and making my products consistent. The use of same font across all print products shows they link together.
In this scene Daniel and Amelia have a fight, this is because Daniel believes Amelia cannot love him because he isn’t stable. This scene is important in the trailer as we start to see the disruption in the movie. This scene develop the start of other issues within Amelia and Daniels relationship. In this scene I have the actors wearing the same clothing which I have placed on my magazine cover, DVD cover and Poster. This shows a link between the trailer and those ancillary text. I believe this is good because the audience will be familiar with this key scene when watching the film or will be looking out for IT. I dressed my characters in simple clothing which teenagers will wear. I aimed to dress Amelia in dark clothing and Daniel in brighter colours. This shows the contrast in characters straightaway.
I dressed Amelia in dark make-up both in the trailers and in the ancillary text. This shows Amelia character to perhaps be a dark character with issues which is what I aimed to show.
The last scene of the theatrical trailer is Amelia and Daniel laughing together, this contradicts the previous scenes of Amelia saying Daniel is scaring her and Amelia saying he is a mess. I believe this scene is effective there because it makes the audience an active audience, they are left guessing about the relationship between the two characters.
In the DVD cover I used back images which I screenshotted from the trailer to show consistently, this is a link between these products as the still images used in the DVD are actual clips from the trailer.
In the ancillary text, I followed Cohen’s theory which suggested people in society are either demonised or marginalised. I dressed the character Daniel in hoodies and puffy jackets which are consistent in all my products. I aimed to show Daniel is being a dangerous character in contrast to Amelia. This is seen in my ancillary text which shows Amelia wearing simple clothing in contrast to Daniel in a hoody. This is consistent in all my products the contrast in the two characters.
In trailer I show Amelia cutting her hair off due to her illness. In my billboard and DVD cover the same image is used of Amelia and Daniel together, this image features Amelia’s short hair. This shows continuity and consistently between the products.
Campaigns such as the fault in our stars, the spectacular now and perk of being a wallflower all used the same image in all their products. I believe this is good in getting the audience to identify the film easily. The use of the same image in both the DVD and billboard show consistency. I believe my products relate with each other as they follow similar house style and also follow similar conventions.
No comments:
Post a Comment